Hey beauty lovers, I’m back with another installment of my Ipsy vs Birchbox reviews! These posts seem to be really popular, so I will probably continue it into the new year…what do you think? (You can see all of my past reviews here.)
This month was pretty even keel in regards to the variety of products included in each subscription. Both included a conditioner, lotion and mini eyeshadow shades…so lets take a look at what I got and which one was my fave for December.
December Ipsy 2015
The Scoop on Ipsy: $10 a month for 5 samples. You can earn Ipsy Points which you can then redeem in their small shop. The products in the shop are limited and the good ones tend to sell out very quickly, so you have to constantly check back. You can earn 10-15 points for every glam bag item you review. You can also earn 250 points for each person you refer to Ipsy. They also randomly give you 10 points here and there if you share your contents or sneak peek on FB. The items in the shop range from 250, 500, 1000 and sometimes 1500 points. (The 1000/1500 point products are full size.) They also have discount codes for products included in each months glam bag, incase you want to buy the full sizes. If you are interested in signing up for Ipsy you can use my referral link, and I would really appreciate it!
What I got:
• Pacifica Power of Love Natural Lipstick– I actually already own this exact lipstick which I bought at Target a few months ago. You can read my full post on it if you want, but in short it’s an amazingly creamy nude that is the perfect shade for my skin tone.
• Peony Shadow Trio– This trio of shadows looks pretty similar to the NYX one that I received in my September bag. Anyway, the pigment was decent when swatched over primer and the colors are very pretty. I think I actually might like it better than the NYX one! (In my photo of the palette, the gold looks much lighter than it actually is. It’s more like the pale gold shown in my swatch.)
• Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Eyeshadow Primer– Elizabeth Mott is a brand I heard of first through Ipsy. The company has grown a bit and this new primer is quite nice. It takes a little longer than other primers I’ve used to dry, but it works really well and feels moisturizing too.
• Marc Anthony Coconut Conditioning Treatment– I haven’t used this yet, but it’s a deep conditioning mask that is meant to be used once a week. It smells like a tropical vacation mix of piña coladas and coconut and it has a fairly thick texture. This seems like it would be too much for my fine hair if used more than once a week, so I’ll try it as a deep treatment this weekend.
• Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion– I think everyone knows what this lotion and brand are all about. Its great for my daughters sensitive skin and perfect to throw in my bag. However, it kind of seems out of place in a Ipsy bag to me.
Birchbox December 2015
The scoop on Birchbox: $10 a month for 5 samples. Birchbox has really upped its game in my opinion. They now offer a Sample Choice each month where you can pick 1 sample in your box (or sometimes a specially curated box where they show all the contents) but it is while supplies last only. Also, they have a fantastic rewards program! You get 10 points for every item you review in your box each month (100 points = $10.) In turn, you can spend those points in their shop. So every month you basically earn $5 to spend! You also earn points on anything you buy in the store and each $1 spent = 1 point, also, each referral earns you 50 points. Pretty awesome. The only “down side” to Birchbox is that most of the samples tend to be on the small side, but most of them are higher quality products/brands. If you want to sign up, please consider using my referral link HERE, thank you!
What I got:
• L’Oreal Mythic Oil Nourishing Masque– This stuff is amazing! I’ve been using it daily since I received my box and my hair is so silky smooth. It doesn’t weigh my hair down either which is nice, plus it smells amazing. I was shocked at the full size price, which is $37 for 6.7 oz, but I might consider purchasing the full size if I have enough points in my Birchbox shop.
• Coastal Scents Shadow Sampler– The duo I got is from the Glamour Eyes palette which is part of the Style Eyes palette collection. The emerald and gold shades are very pretty and pigmented. I will definitely be looking for one of these palettes with more nude tones. The full size palette is $12, or you can get the trio for $25.
• Juara Illipe Hand & Nail Balm– This lotion is wonderful, I am just sad it’s so small. It has a luscious coconut scent and it absorbs quickly but makes my skin feel so nourished. A full size 2.5 oz is $20
• Benefit They’re Real Tinted Lash Primer– I love that they came out with a tinted lash primer because the only other ones I’ve seen are white, which can be difficult to cover up. It says you can use this alone or under mascara. It’s a chocolate brown color, so when used alone it gives a very natural yet defined look to lashes.I haven’t tried this as an actual primer yet, but i’ll be sure to share a snap of the results on my Instagram!
• Serge Normant Dream Big Spray– This instant volumizing spray is basically a fancy dry shampoo with a much stronger hold. To be honest, I tried it on my roots and they immediately felt sticky and heavy, more like what a hair spray does to your hair than a dry shampoo. It might help those of us with fine/straight hair get more grip when we are trying to curl our hair though.
So, the bottom line is that both boxes were pretty decent, but I really LOVED 3 out the 5 products from my Birchbox this month…(the conditioner, hand balm and lash primer.) I really like the primer from my Ipsy bag, but since I already had the lipstick, nothing else really wowed me.
Did you get any good stuff in your subscription boxes lately?
Let’s stay connected! Please follow me on: