TGIF beauty babes!! I always look forward to Fridays, but I’m especially excited for this one because my man and I are going out on a DATE tomorrow! Thats right, a real old fashioned date…without the kids, which hasn’t happened in at least 6 months. 😀 We have reservations at the Hanover Street Chophouse and I think I am going to feasting on some Filet Mignon. Can’t wait. Anyway, today I have the overview of my Ipsy and Birchbox subscriptions from February. I feel like I never get these up in a timely manner because my Ipsy bag is usually late.
The Scoop on Ipsy: $10 a month for 5 samples. You can earn Ipsy Points which you can then redeem in their small shop. The products in the shop are limited and the good ones tend to sell out very quickly, so you have to constantly check back. You can earn 10-15 points for every glam bag item you review. You can also earn 250 points for each person you refer to Ipsy. They also randomly give you 10 points here and there if you share your bag contents or sneak peek on FB. The items in the shop range from 250-1500 points. (The 1000/1500 point products are full size.) They also have discount codes for products included in each months glam bag, incase you want to buy the full sizes. If you are interested in signing up for Ipsy you can use my referral link, and I would really appreciate it!
What I got:
- Carrot & Rose Hydrating Cream– This smells so much like fruity mango juice, I was a little taken aback. Luckily, it fades a bit after application…not that I don’t want to walk around smelling like a smoothie. It’s rather thin and feels a bit greasy at first, but once it sinks in my hands felt incredibly silky & soft! Vegan and Cruelty Free with a hefty price tag of $19 for 1 oz.
- Trust Fund Nail Polish– I got the shade “I’m Kind of a Big Deal” which is a dusty rose pink. It was slightly thick and opaque, so I used 2 thin coats. Great color for spring and I like both of the Trust Fund colors I’ve tried so far! $15
- Naked Cosmetics Mica Pigment– I’m not a fan of loose shadows and this one from Naked Cosmetics is the perfect example of why. It’s extremely powdery and glittery which made a mess everywhere, even when I tried to use it wet and over primer. Luckily I only swatched it on my hand so the glitter didn’t get all over my face. This is the shade #2 from their Sierra Nevada collection. A single shadow like this retails for $14.99
- Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil- I have yet to try this, but it claims to soften your complexion and instantly add radiance. I meant to use it today before writing my review, but I totally forgot. The full size comes with a dropper style top and retails for $42
- Margaret Dabbs Mini Crystal Nail File– I’ve only use this a few times and it seems to work nicely. My only trouble with crystal files, is that over time the file begins to wear away and you are left with smooth glass ridges that don’t do anything. It retails for £12, on her website.
The scoop on Birchbox: $10 a month for 5 samples. Birchbox has really upped its game in my opinion. They now offer a Sample Choice each month where you can pick 1 sample in your box (or sometimes a specially curated box where they show all the contents) but it is while supplies last only. Also, they have a fantastic rewards program! You get 10 points for every item you review in your box each month (100 points = $10.) In turn, you can spend those points in their shop. So every month you basically earn $5 to spend! You also earn points on anything you buy in the store and each $1 spent = 1 point, also, each referral earns you 50 points. Pretty awesome. The only “down side” to Birchbox is that most of the samples tend to be on the small side, but most of them are higher quality products/brands. If you want to sign up, please consider using my referral link HERE, thank you!
What I got:
- Naobay Oxygenating Cream– I have actually received this face cream a while back from another box and I am so happy to see it again because I really loved it! It’s lightweight but keeps my skin moisturized and soft. Plus it works really well under makeup! I’m glad it’s now available on the Birchbox site, because I remember it being hard to find. A 1.7 oz size retails for $36, so this 1 oz sample is a pretty decent size!
- Obliphica Seaberry Serum– I received this in the “Fine to Medium” variety and it’s designed to treat and repair damaged hair. First of all, THIS SMELLS AMAZING! Like, OMG… Secondly, it actually does work very well and makes my hair look shiny and smooth. Also, a tiny bit goes a long way so even this 1/2 oz size should last a good while. Full size is $38 for 2.2 oz.
- Tocca Emelia Perfume– I normally despise fragrance samples, but this Tocca scent is so lovely. Florals aren’t usually my thing, but this has refreshing notes of Fig and Clementine that help cut the sweet floral a bit. I would consider buying a larger size of this. Full size is $68 for 1.7 oz.
- Arrow Boost Lip Balm– This is a Birchbox exclusive brand that they produced, which is so cool! The line is designed for active women on the go. This color enhancing lip balm is moisturizes nicely and leaves a healthy pink wash of color on the lips. Full size is $14.
- Hey Honey Peel off Mask– I haven’t tried this yet either, but it is designed to brighten skin and promote a clear complexion with the use of AHA’s. I’ll try it soon. Full size is $32 for 1.7 oz.
There were things that I liked from each box, but in the end, Birchbox really won me over this month! I just liked the variety and types of products better.
What do you think of my choice? Did you get anything good in your sub boxes last month?
Let’s stay connected! Please follow me on: