Welcome beauty lovers, I’m back with another beauty box comparison! You may be saying “I thought she used to do Ipsy vs Birchbox” and you would be right. However, after the horrible changes Birchbox made to their points program I just didn’t think it was worth the $10 a month anymore and I moved on to the Sephora Play subscription. byebirchboxbye (I’m not still bitter… ok maybe just a little.)
I waited forever to get off the Sephora waiting list (seriously like 4 months) but when I finally got the email I signed up right away. I thought it would be a good choice for comparison because they are both $10 a month.
The Scoop on Ipsy: $10 a month for 5 samples. You can earn Ipsy Points which you can redeem in their small shop. The products in the shop are limited and the good ones tend to sell out very quickly, so you have to constantly check back. You can earn 10-15 points for every glam bag item you review. You can also earn 250 points for each person you refer to Ipsy. They also randomly give you 10 points here and there if you share your bag contents or sneak peek on FB/Twitter. The items in the shop range from 250-1500 points. (The 1000/1500 point products are full size.) They also have discount codes for products included in each months glam bag, incase you want to buy the full size or something else from the brand. If you are interested in signing up for Ipsy you can use my referral link, and I would really appreciate it!
What I got:
- It Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner– I have so many black eyeliners it’s not even funny. It would be great if I wore eyeliner often, but I don’t. I haven’t used this, but it got decent reviews on Ulta’s website and it comes in 9 other colors. A full size is $22
- Ciaté Nail Polish– I got a full size of the shade Dangerous Affair which is a deep vampy burgundy. I needed 3 thin coats for it to be completely opaque, but I love it and it’s got me yearning for fall! Full size is valued at $17. Use code IPSTER to get 30% off everything on the Ciaté site. (Ends 9/30)
- Winky Lux Diamond Complexion Powder in Light- I’m usually not a fan of powder foundations. I don’t feel like they give enough coverage and they always look flaky on me. However, I used this over my liquid foundation to set it and I really like the way it looks. It only comes in 3 shades though and I can probably get away with wearing Light in the winter and Medium in the summer. Full size is $20. Use code IPSYAUGUST for 30% off any purchase at Winky Lux. (Ends 9/30)
- Luseta Argan Hair Masque– I LOVE hair masks and I’m always up for trying new ones! I haven’t tried this yet (I plan to use it today) but it smells SO GOOD. It looks really rich, so I will probably only use it once a week. It is pH balanced and contains Argan Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil and Wheat Protein for lots of added strength and growth. Full size is $29 and you can get 15% off anything on their site using code IPSY15. (Ends 9/30)
- Pacifica Sundreams Lotus Infused Bronzer– I received the shade Sunkissed which looks to be an Ipsy exclusive because the only other bronzer from Pacifica is sold as a duo. Originally, I thought this bronzer was going to be too dark, but I actually think it’s perfect! It has a subtle iridescent glow to it and I love using it as a contour shade too, which is something I don’t normally do. Use code SUNDREAMS20 to get 20% off anything on the Pacifica website! I highly recommend their fragrances and Stellar Gaze Mascara!
AUGUST SEPHORA PLAY
The Scoop on Sephora Play: $10 for 5 deluxe samples plus a bonus fragrance. You can’t earn points and there is no referral program with this subscription. However, they do include a Play Pass each month which can be used to receive expert advice in the stores and 50 extra Beauty Insider points with any purchase. Every month they also include a big pamphlet of tips, tricks, and how-to’s for each product in the box and it is pretty helpful!
This is actually my second Sephora Play box. I really liked my first one, but never got around to writing about it!
What I got:
- Sephora Collection Contour Eye Pencil– I received this in the shade Love Affair which is a deep, dark, shimmering plum. It’s actually really gorgeous and was very budge proof… I can’t wait to wear it! The best part is a full size is only $10 and it comes in 25 different shades and 3 finishes.
- Algenist Eye Renewal Balm– This eye balm is supposed to help with fine lines, puffiness and dark circles. It is formulated with Alguronic Acid, vitamin C, caffeine, cucumber, aloe, and green tea extracts. I have only used it one night so I can’t speak to its claims, but I did notice that it is very thick and rich. Although it says for day/night use, I might just stick to night time on this one. The size I got is .23 oz, and a full size is .5 oz for $68 so this little sample is worth about $34!
- Urban Decay Perversion Mascara– I have tried this many times in the past and it’s a good mascara. It’s not that I don’t like it, but I just can’t use it in the hot summer months because I tend to get “raccoon eyes” whenever I do. I do love the full, natural brush and the dark formula though! Full size is $22
- Lancôme Énergie de Vie The Smoothing & Glow Boosting Liquid Moisturizer– Wow, what a mouthful. This is an energizing antioxidant liquid moisturizer that refreshes, protects, and hydrates tired skin for an instant dewy glow. To be honest, I haven’t used it and I probably won’t. My skin is acne prone, so I don’t like switching up my moisturizers often. (I am currently using the Lancôme Génifique Youth Activating Serum and it works amazing for me!) The full size Énergie de Vie is $55
- Makeup Forever Artist Shadow– I received the shade I-544 which is an iridescent light mauve. This line actually consists of 198 shades. Some of them are eye shadows and some are powder blushes, so it’s a little confusing. The color I got is really pretty for fall and I think it would go great with the liner. The formula was so silky and pigmented too! Full size is $21
- Clean Reserve Warm Cotton– The Clean Reserve line is exclusive to Sephora. Typically, I’m not a fan of Clean’s fragrances. This one really does smell like laundry. Seriously…laundry detergent or fabric softener all the way. It doesn’t smell bad, I just think it would be better suited for a home air freshener than a body fragrance. That’s my personal preference though. Full size is $90
So. Which box do you prefer? I think I’m going to go with Ipsy this month because the only thing I didn’t care for in that box was the black eyeliner. I loved everything else! However, Sephora Play has been pretty good the past 2 times. Even though Ipsy won this time, I’m excited to keep getting the Play! box and see what else is in store.